Recent global developments, coupled with economic conditions, have demonstrated that one cannot understand financial markets and the economy without understanding real estate markets and underwriting real estate risk. The Professional Certificate in Real Estate Finance & Development provides an unparalleled opportunity for professionals and executives to obtain state-of-the-art insights and skills about the key factors and investment strategies driving real estate markets. By joining our professional program, you will further your understanding of the real estate development process.
Our real estate professional courses will provide real value to a global audience of executives and knowledge-thirsty professionals, and will provide training opportunities for large organizations seeking to educate and inspire their most talented employees.
Applications will be accepted according to the following schedule:
- October 17 to December 15: registration opens for previous certificate participants who need to complete the program this year AND new applicants who wish to complete the entire program in one year
- December 16 to March 15: registration opens for new certificate applicants who wish to split the courses over two years, and continues for applicants completing the program in 2020
- March 16 and after: registration for applicants in individual courses, space permitting
An MIT Professional Education and MIT Center for Real Estate Professional Certificate is a formal recognition of your professional development and commitment to life-long learning. Pursuing a Professional Certificate allows you to further your knowledge and skills in an accelerated, convenient format. Our courses run each summer over a two-week period. This program will help focus your development on a set of competencies that will allow you to have an immediate and lasting impact on your organization's future.
At least three years of experience working within the real estate industry and/or built environment is strongly recommended, as well as a bachelor’s degree.
To earn the Professional Certificate in Real Estate Finance & Development, participants must complete the following five required courses within two summers:
- Real Estate Finance: Fundamentals June 8-9, 2020, $3200
- Evaluating Real Estate Markets June 10, 2020, $1600
- Real Estate Finance: Advanced June 11-12, 2020, $3200
- Commercial Real Estate Development June 15-17, 2020, $4800
W. T. McGrath
- Global Real Estate Markets June 18-19, 2020, $3200
MIT Center for Real Estate industry partners receive discounts as part of their membership benefits. Find out if your firm is an industry partner, and if it is, please contact Lisa Thoma at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm you have the latest discount code. Please use this code when you register, as discounts cannot be applied retroactively.
Take advantage of a special multi-program discount by registering for all five courses in a single season. Apply via the Application for Candidacy. MIT Professional Education’s fee for all five courses in 2020 is $16,000 USD (not including the non-refundable $325 application for candidacy fee); by enrolling in the entire certificate program in a single year, you will receive a 15 percent discount for a total cost of $13,600 USD, a savings of $2,400 USD. Please note that these prices reflect the current 2020 fees and are subject to change. Further discounts cannot be applied.
- World-renowned, in-demand faculty and speakers chosen for their consulting and expertise
- Cutting-edge research and curriculum connected to industry
- Accelerated two-week action-learning format offered in the summer
- Networking opportunities with leading real estate professionals from the US and around the world
- Dynamic experience in the Cambridge/Boston area
- Groups from the same company and location with five or more registrations in the same year receive a 15 percent discount for all courses included in this Professional Certificate Program. Please contact email@example.com for details
Participants who enroll in the Professional Certificate Program in Real Estate Finance & Development will receive:
MIT Professional Education Benefits:
- A 15 percent discount on future MIT Professional Education courses
- Invitations to special events, networking opportunities, and future courses
- Updates on faculty research, new programs, and MIT initiatives via our newsletter
- Membership in the exclusive MIT Professional Education Alumni Group on LinkedIn
- Each course is eligible for MIT Professional Education Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
MIT Center for Real Estate Benefits
- Insider subscription to the MIT Technology Review for one year after earning the Professional Certificate
- Access to our password-protected portal, containing exclusive content, for one year after earning the Professional Certificate
- Real Estate Professionals
This certificate program is applicable to a wide range of professionals across the real estate, banking, finance/investment, and insurance industries. Specifically, the program may be of interest to fund managers, investment portfolio managers, financial advisors, investment bankers, fixed-income analysts, financial risk managers, global financial market specialists, and professionals working in macroeconomic policy. This program can be valuable to anyone dealing with global financial markets and real estate investments.
Courses are priced individually and participants must pay the course fee at the time of enrollment. The Professional Certificate program in 2020 is $16,000 USD (not including the non-refundable $325 application for candidacy fee). By enrolling in the entire certificate program in a single year, you will receive a 15 percent discount for a total cost of $13,600 USD, a savings of $2,400 USD. Further discounts cannot be applied. Program and course fees include tuition, materials, and some meals. Fees do not include accommodations. Please note that program and course dates, fees, and faculty are subject to change without notice.
To support the professional practice of public agencies and external non-profit organizations, the MIT Center for Real Estate encourages leadership and development by offering two partial need-based scholarships to professionals in these important areas.
Note: Scholarship applicants should not register for the program until scholarship decisions have been released.
To apply, individuals must submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Personal statement on organization letterhead (more information below)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s supervisor or professional reference
- Applicants working for a non-profit organization must also submit a copy of the IRS letter confirming his or her organization’s tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
An applicant’s personal statement should be at least one page in length and address the following points:
- Explain your commitment to the public or non-profit real estate sector
- Describe how these courses will benefit you
- Describe how these courses will improve your organization’s capacity to advance its objectives
In the event that an agency or organization has multiple employees applying for scholarships, each employee must submit an independent application.
Any questions regarding the scholarship should be directed to email@example.com.
- Full scholarships are not available
- Scholarships are only available for participants who will complete the entire program in one year
Scholarships will be reviewed on a rolling basis; please apply as soon as possible.
MIT is located in the intellectual, exciting, and vibrant city of Cambridge, Massachusetts, nestled next to the state capital of Boston and right on the Charles River. MIT is located in Kendall Square, an innovation hub with more startups than any other place in the world (for example, at CIC). Take time to visit historic Boston while here—catch a Red Sox game, go whale watching, visit world-class museums, take a boat ride on the Charles River, visit Quincy Market, or explore other local area colleges. TripAdvisor's Best of Boston Tourism list may be a good resource.
Should I bring my laptop or tablet?
Yes, we are going green—please be sure to bring your laptop or tablet as materials will not be printed and handed out during the courses. Participants will not have access to MIT computers and materials will only be provided electronically. However, you will have access to the MIT wireless network.
Are these the same courses that I took through the MIT Center for Real Estate Professional Development Institute?
Yes; these courses were previously offered directly through the Center for Real Estate Professional Development Institute (PDI). The course "Understanding Real Estate Markets" has been renamed "Evaluating Real Estate Markets" and shortened to one day, although the main content remains the same.
Why are these courses being offered through MIT Professional Education?
The two groups are collaborating together to streamline the process for all participants.
Will I receive a certificate?
Yes, you will receive an MIT Professional Education certificate of completion upon the successful conclusion of each course as well as a separate Professional Certificate in Real Estate Finance & Development if you are accepted to the certificate program.
Where will I register on the first morning of the course?
You will receive an email a few weeks prior to the start of the course containing this information, as well as other important information.
Are there online versions of these courses?
MIT Professional Education does not currently offer any online courses in real estate. You can see our current online offerings on our Digital Programs page.
Will I receive MIT credit for these courses?
MIT Professional Education - Short Programs offers CEUs (Continuing Education Units) to participants upon completion of the program and post-program feedback and, at the end of the program, awards each participant an MIT Professional Education Certificate of Completion. If you are interested in earning MIT academic credit you may want to consider the Advanced Study Program. If you are interested in a degree program, the MIT Center for Real Estate offers a Master of Science in Real Estate Development.
Will I have homework?
In most cases reading material will be available for download in advance of the course start date. Participants should pay special attention to the confirmation email sent two to three weeks before the course starts for any instructions regarding advance reading and/or other types of assignments.
Will I be considered an alumnus/a of MIT?
MIT Alumni status is restricted to graduates of MIT degree programs. Participants of MIT Professional Education programs become MIT Professional Education alumni.
How do I pay?
You can pay with a variety of options, including checks, credit cards, wire transfers, and purchase orders. Please note that international wire transfers often include secondary bank fees that you must add to the transaction. In all cases, you will receive a receipt by email once we have confirmed payment. See the Admissions page for more information.
I need to cancel my registration. Are there any fees?
Yes, we do attach fees should you cancel your participation. The fee increases as the program start date approaches. See the Admissions page for details regarding our cancellation policy.
Can I transfer my registration to another course?
Yes, but transferring an acceptance from one course to another must be approved in advance by the Short Programs office as additional fees may apply. Please contact us to request a transfer.
I will be too busy to attend. Can my company send someone else in my place?
Yes, but the Short Programs office must be notified and your substitute must submit an application. Please contact us to request a substitution.
I was admitted and have paid, but cannot attend this year. Can I come next year instead?
Admission and tuition cannot be deferred to a subsequent year; however, you may cancel your registration and reapply the following year. The Admissions page details our cancellation policy.
If I have any questions not addressed on the website, whom should I contact?
We welcome you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have regarding our real estate courses, the Professional Certificate Program in Real Estate Finance & Development, or any of our courses or other programs.