The MIT Professional Education and MIT Center for Real Estate Professional Certificate is a formal recognition of your professional development and commitment to life-long learning. Pursuing a Professional Certificate allows you to further your knowledge and skills in an accelerated, convenient format. Our courses run each summer over a two-week period. This program will help focus your development on a set of competencies that will allow you to have an immediate as well as lasting impact on your organization's future.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted according to the following schedule:
- December 10 to January 31: registration opens for current certificate participants who need to complete the program this year AND new applicants who wish to complete the entire program in one year
- February 1 to April 16: registration continues for applicants completing the program in 2021 and opens for new certificate applicants who wish to split the courses over two years
- April 17 and after: registration opens for applicants in individual courses, space permitting
At least three years of experience working within the real estate industry and/or built environment is strongly recommended, as well as a bachelor’s degree.
This professional certificate program consists of a core set of courses and two elective courses in real estate finance, development, and analytics. Earning the professional certificate requires the completion of at least five qualifying courses, which must include four core courses, and at least one elective.
Those with a solid financial background in real estate or a related field may petition to start with Real Estate Finance: Advanced. If permission is granted, both elective courses (instead of one) in the certificate will need to be completed to satisfy the five-course completion requirement. Those without the relevant experience must start with the Real Estate Finance: Fundamentals course and also take the Advanced course. To opt-out of Real Estate Finance: Fundamentals, please email email@example.com with a brief statement as to what you think qualifies you to do so, based on the overview of the course, and a copy of your current resume or CV.
- The program must be completed within 15 months, or two summers.
- Courses that have been completed prior to applying for the certificate program may count towards your program requirements, keeping in mind that the full program must be completed within a 15-month period
All courses are assigned Continuing Education Units (CEUs). The following core courses are required for successful completion of the Professional Certificate Program in Real Estate Finance & Development.
- Real Estate Finance: Fundamentals—June 7-8, 2021, $3,200
- Evaluating Real Estate Markets: Urban Land Use and City Form—June 9, 2021, $1,600
- Commercial Real Estate Development—June 14-16, 2021, $4,800
W. T. McGrath
- Real Estate Finance: Advanced—June 21-24, 2021, $3,200
Note: MIT Professional Education's Short Programs is committed to providing a diverse and updated portfolio of Short Programs courses and reserves the right to change these course selections in future years.
You may choose from the following list of elective courses to complete the five-course certificate program:
- Global Real Estate Markets—June 10-11, 2021, $3,200, A. Saiz
- Data Science Strategies for Real Estate Development—June 17-18, 2021, $3,200, A. Chegut
MIT Center for Real Estate industry partners receive discounts as part of their membership benefits. Find out if your firm is an industry partner, and if it is, please contact Lisa Thoma at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm you have the latest discount code. Please use this code when you register, as discounts cannot be applied retroactively.
Take advantage of a special multi-program discount by registering for five qualifying courses in a single season. Apply via the Application for Candidacy. MIT Professional Education’s fee for all five courses in 2021 is $16,000 USD (not including the non-refundable $325 application for candidacy fee); by enrolling in the entire certificate program in a single year, you will receive a 15 percent discount for a total cost of $13,600 USD, a savings of $2,400 USD. Please note that these prices reflect the current 2021 fees and are subject to change. Further discounts cannot be applied.
What You Can Expect
- World-renowned, in-demand faculty and speakers chosen for their consulting and expertise
- Cutting-edge research and curriculum connected to industry
- Accelerated two-week action-learning format offered in the summer
- Networking opportunities with leading real estate professionals from the US and around the world
- Dynamic experience in the Cambridge/Boston area
- Groups from the same company and location with five or more registrations in the same year receive a 15 percent discount for all courses included in this Professional Certificate Program. Please contact us for details.
Joint Certificate Benefits
Participants who enroll in the Professional Certificate Program in Real Estate Finance & Development will receive:
MIT Professional Education Benefits:
- A 15 percent discount on future MIT Professional Education courses
- Invitations to special events, networking opportunities, and future courses
- Updates on faculty research, new programs, and MIT initiatives via our newsletter
- Membership in the exclusive MIT Professional Education Alumni Group on LinkedIn
- Each course is assigned MIT Professional Education Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
MIT Center for Real Estate Benefits:
- Insider subscription to the MIT Technology Review for one year after earning the Professional Certificate
- Access to our password-protected portal, containing exclusive content, for one year after earning the Professional Certificate
Who Should Attend
- Real Estate Professionals
This certificate program is applicable to a wide range of professionals across the real estate, banking, finance/investment, and insurance industries. Specifically, the program may be of interest to fund managers, investment portfolio managers, financial advisors, investment bankers, fixed-income analysts, financial risk managers, global financial market specialists, and professionals working in macroeconomic policy. This program can be valuable to anyone dealing with global financial markets and real estate investments.
Courses are priced individually and participants must pay the course fee at the time of enrollment. The Professional Certificate program in 2021 is $16,000 USD (not including the non-refundable $325 application for candidacy fee) for five qualifying courses. By enrolling in the entire certificate program in a single year, you will receive a 15 percent discount for a total cost of $13,600 USD, a savings of $2,400 USD. Further discounts cannot be applied. Program and course fees include tuition, materials, and some meals. Fees do not include accommodations. Please note that program and course dates, fees, and faculty are subject to change without notice.
To support the professional practice of public agencies and external non-profit organizations, the MIT Center for Real Estate encourages leadership and development by offering two partial need-based scholarships to professionals in these important areas.
Note: Scholarship applicants should not register for the program until scholarship decisions have been released.
To apply, individuals must submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- Personal statement on organization letterhead (more information below)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s supervisor or professional reference
- Applicants working for a non-profit organization must also submit a copy of the IRS letter confirming his or her organization’s tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
An applicant’s personal statement should be at least one page in length and address the following points:
- Explain your commitment to the public or non-profit real estate sector
- Describe how these courses will benefit you
- Describe how these courses will improve your organization’s capacity to advance its objectives
In the event that an agency or organization has multiple employees applying for scholarships, each employee must submit an independent application.
Any questions regarding the scholarship should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full scholarships are not available
- Scholarships are only available for participants who will complete the entire program in one year
Scholarships will be reviewed on a rolling basis; please apply as soon as possible.
Each year, the Professional Certificate Program in Real Estate Finance & Development runs on the MIT campus. However, due to the ongoing uncertainty and campus restrictions caused by COVID-19, the 2021 certificate program and its courses will run in a live virtual (online) format.
MIT is located in the intellectual, exciting, and vibrant city of Cambridge, Massachusetts, nestled next to the state capital of Boston and right on the Charles River. MIT is located in Kendall Square, an innovation hub with more startups than any other place in the world (for example, at CIC). Take time to visit historic Boston while here—catch a Red Sox game, go whale watching, visit world-class museums, take a boat ride on the Charles River, visit Quincy Market, or explore other local area colleges. TripAdvisor's Best of Boston Tourism list may be a good resource.