Admissions are on a semester-by-semester basis and applications for both part-time and full-time students are accepted.
Students search the MIT Course Catalog for specific classes that interest them and then apply to those specific classes through the Advanced Study Program.
Students who do well in their first semester may continue to apply for successive semesters.
To apply, applicants must have:
- An undergraduate degree
- English fluency and the ability to thrive in a rigorous academic environment
Non-native English speakers: In addition to the requirements above, non-native English speakers must have IELTS or TOEFL test scores from the past two years to apply. IELTS results are strongly preferred. Compelling candidates will score 7.5 or better on the IELTS, 100 or better on the internet-based TOEFL, or 600 or better on the paper-based TOEFL. Please see our page of international students' Frequently Asked Questions for additional details about studying as an international student.
Fall semester: Due to the Covid-19 situation, the deadline has been postponed to July 20th.
Spring semester: November 1
Application decisions are generally made within eight weeks of the deadline. The Advanced Study Program does not accept students for the summer or during the Independent Activities Period (IAP).
International applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for the fall semester so they have adequate time to receive an admission decision and apply for their US visa.
- Application fee: $75
- 2020-2021 Tuition (per semester): Tuition is based on the total units of credit for your classes. Most classes are 12 units.
- 4-12 units of credit (typically 1 class) - $9,960
- 24 units of credit (typically 2 classes) - $19,920
- 36+ units of credit (typically 3 or more classes) - $29,500
- MIT Student Life Fee: waived for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters
Starting in the spring of 2020, those who have been accepted into the MIT Advanced Study Program will pay their tuition and fees through Student Financial Services (SFS). SFS will create a student account for you and will post your tuition and fees to that account. For more information about the payment process, please visit their website.
- Tuition payments: We are unable to accept credit card payments. Visit the how to pay your bill section of the site to learn more about your payment options.
- In order to successfully register, students are required to pay the full cost of tuition three weeks before the first day of classes. Learn more about how to pay online.
- ASP students are not eligible for MIT-subsidized MBTA passes.
- ASP students are not eligible to participate in the MIT monthly payment plan.
Visit our application page for links to the application forms and instructions on applying.