This course may be taken individually or as part of the Professional Certificate Program in Innovation & Technology.
In today’s digital economy, the ability to drive innovation and unlock new sources of value is the key to delighting customers and outperforming the competition. Securing this edge requires leaders who can effectively leverage advanced design-thinking techniques and harness emerging technologies to create radical and compelling new products and services. But achieving this level of mastery often requires stepping outside the organization to receive expert training.
In response to this escalating imperative, MIT Professional Education is pleased to introduce MIT Masterclass: Technology Strategy & Innovation. Designed for accomplished, high-level leaders, this exciting new program offers an unprecedented opportunity to develop solutions to your most pressing innovation challenges under the guidance of renowned technology, strategy, and innovation experts Blade Kotelly and Michael Davies.
Exclusively designed for a high-level audience, the MIT Masterclass: Technology Strategy & Innovation offers unparalleled, individual insights and support. Over four days of intensive study in Kendall Square, the densest square mile of innovation in the world, you will work closely with Kotelly and Davies to address your individual challenge—and develop strategies that harness the potential of powerful new technologies and platforms, including Artificial Intelligence, the Internet of Things, and robotics. Throughout the course of the program, you will also discover how to:
- Shape technology strategies and accelerate innovation in your organization
- Apply design thinking to your unique real-world opportunities and challenges
- Develop your business strategy to identify opportunities for creating rapid growth and capturing significant new value
Through a combination of interactive discussions and hands-on simulations, you’ll leave with an actionable plan to overcome your obstacles and drive value—leveraging strategies that harness powerful new technologies and platforms.
- Understand how to analyze and evaluate new technologies, anticipate their evolution, and develop technology strategy
- Gain new insight into the power and potential of digital technologies, in particular Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, IoT and robotics
- Learn how to better assess demand opportunities and pursue customer discovery
- Accelerate innovation in established enterprises
- Experience applying advanced design-thinking techniques to better explore new areas and create compelling vision
- Distinguish between incremental innovation and radical innovation when creating new solutions
- Effectively understand if your end-users will be delighted by your product or service
- Practice how to align the complex network of stakeholders involved in any project
- Learn techniques for bringing innovation into your organization
- Gain knowledge for how to build a business over time, develop mutually-beneficial partnerships, build platforms, and orchestrate business ecosystems to create and capture significant new value
Who Should Attend
This course is targeted for senior managers and leaders who are involved in decision-making throughout the product life cycle, or with any aspect of product creation. The course will be of particular benefit to those who are responsible for defining technology strategy, creating new products, and contributing to the overall strategy of the business, for example, those with titles such as Director, Executive Director, Program Manager, Vice President, Senior Vice President, Executive Vice President, Chief Technology Officer, Chief Marketing Officer, and Chief Product Office.
This course is appropriate for individuals in any industry that creates products, particularly those that combine (or could combine) hardware and software in any way, from high-tech to low-tech, including but not limited to aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, healthcare, logistics, consumer electronics, luxury goods, consumer products, home products.
Participants are required to bring a laptop or tablet with PowerPoint (or Keynote) and Excel.
Classes will run on the following schedule:
Day One: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Day Two: 9:00am - 4:15pm
Day Three: 9:00am - 4:15pm
Day Four: TBD - Team Presentations
Session 1--1.5 hours
Introduction, Analyzing and evaluating technologies: parameters, trade-offs and envelopes
Session 2--1.5 hours
Session 3--1.5 hours
Adoption and difision of technologies
Session 4--1.5 hours
Digital technologies: smartphones, cloud, IoT, Ai and robotics
Session 5--1.5 hours
Session 6--1.5 hours
10-step design process for innovation
Session 7--1.5 hours
Session 8--1.5 hours
K-Script articulation process
Session 9--1.5 hours
K-Matrix white-space innovation
Session 10--1.5 hours
Life-cycles and transitions
Session 11--1.5 hours
Business ecosystems, co-evolution and value creation
Session 12--1.5 hours
Bottlenecks, resources, inimitability and value capture
Session 13--1.5 hours
Becoming a digital explorer