Disclaimer: This is a private offering in collaboration with American Education Board (AEB). For more information, please contact AEB Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dates are to be confirmed. The schedule is tentative and subject to change.
With more than $50 billion in venture capital funding and $1.5 trillion in market capitalization, blockchain has become one of the fast-growing technologies. Decentralized peer-to-peer networks and blockchain have the potential to improve payment methods, increase transparency in government and financial markets, and enhance the interoperability of personal data. In today’s world, organizations should be prepared to leverage decentralized finance. To be fruitful in the pursuit of fintech opportunities, decision-makers must be familiar with blockchain's principles and best practices.
The Applied Blockchain course is taught by Abel Sanchez, Executive Director & Research Scientist of the Geospatial Data Center (GDC) at MIT, and John R. Williams, Professor of Information Engineering and Civil & Environmental Engineering at MIT. This course features hands-on simulations and exercises, with an emphasis on the application of blockchain, from both business and technological perspectives. By taking part in this course, participants will be empowered to improve the efficiency, safety, contracts, and payment processes for companies and organizations.
- Discover key principles of blockchain and cryptocurrency
- Deepen your understanding of cybersecurity of cryptocurrencies
- Explore industry-specific blockchain applications, including developments in banking and other fields
- Evaluate the legal and regulatory aspects of blockchain technology
- Make effective blockchain technology implementation decisions
- Conceptualize the implementation of financial tools for cryptocurrencies
- Create smart contracts, blockchain transactions, tokens, and cryptocurrencies
Participants will receive a certificate of completion from MIT Professional Education upon successful completion of the program.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for decision-makers and individuals who are interested in the application of blockchain across a wide variety of industries, including finance, law, education, and government.
A laptop or Chromebook with which you have administrative privileges is required for this course.
The program consists of 10 sessions over a period of 5 days (with 2 sessions per day). Each session is 90 minutes long, running between 9:00 - 10:30 am EST. Please note that the exact nature and order of the topics are subject to change.
|1||Introduction to blockchain, course logistics, and course project.|
|4||Blockchain data explorer|
|7||Blockchain in the developing world|
|8||Blockchain governance & blockchain consortia|
|10||Course summary and course project presentations|
|Program Overview||Blockchain trends, fundamentals, and course overview|
|One Hour Blockchain||Build a one hour "naive blockchain" to explore components and principles|
|Blockchain in Financial Markets||Software, architectures, and applications of blockchain to financial markets|
|Blockchain Platforms||Leading blockchain tools, open-source, platforms, and ecosystems|
|ICOs||Initial coin offerings, token sales, or crowdsales|
|Cryptocurrencies||Digital tokens designed to work as a medium of exchange|
|Permissioned, Private, Blockchains||Blockchain permissioned networks, identity, and custom rules|
|Blockchain in Supply Chain||Software, architectures, and applications of blockchain to supply chains|
|DAOs||Blockchain Decentralized Autonomous Organizations|
|Consensus Mechanisms||Blockchain consensus protocols & algorithms|
|Smart Contracts||Computer programs to facilitate, verify or enforce contract performance|
|Blockchain Challenges||Blockchain scalability, mining, and centralization|
|Security||Blockchain technology applications to cybersecurity|
|Legal Governance||Legal and regulatory aspects of blockchain and smart contracts Forks, leadership, and governance|
After completing this course, participants will become alumni of MIT Professional Education and receive benefits as follows:
- Exclusive discounts on select MIT Professional Education courses
- Access to the exclusive MIT Professional Education alumni group on LinkedIn
- Networking opportunities with other individuals from around the globe working in a variety of industries and who are interested in innovation, technology, data science, entrepreneurship, science and engineering, among others
- Subscription to the MIT Professional Education newsletter
- Membership to the MIT Professional Education alumni mailing list and advance notice regarding upcoming courses, programs, and events
- Invitations to the above privileges upon successful completion of the course
CONNECT with an American Education Board Program Advisor