Registration ends soon!
Next session: January 7 - March 4, 2019
Duration: 8 weeks
This course was previously titled The Intersection of Leadership & Innovation.
In the online course, Leadership & Innovation for Technology Professionals, MIT’s Dr. David Niño helps participants harness the kinetic energy of leadership, empowering them to lead with self-awareness and creativity—the essential building blocks for innovative teams, cultures and organizations.
Watch the rebroadcast on-demand of Dr. David Niño one-hour webinar from November 9, 2018 here.
Note: This course is also available in Spanish. Learn more here.
This course supports the development of highly self-aware leaders with the skills and knowledge required to inspire creativity and nurture innovation that improves individual, team and organizational performance and competitive positioning.
- Understand how leadership enables innovation by building strategies, structures and cultures that support creativity
- Recognize the links between creativity—a new or useful idea—and innovation, as well as how to execute and adopt creative ideas
- Reframe the importance of identifying and defining problems to spur creativity and enable innovation
- Increase self-awareness of personal leadership style and its effects on group creativity and innovation that delivers results
- Strengthen leadership skills to create sustainable, innovative teams and cultures
- Increase effectiveness in building and leading high-performing teams
- Articulate visions that inspire others to unleash motivations central to successful innovation
- Gain expertise in creating innovative teams and cultures that enable bold transformation
- Increase organizational capacity to make sense of—and effectively leverage—rapid change
- Establish a cadre of highly self-aware leaders with the skills and knowledge to lead high-performing, innovative teams and departments
Who Should Attend
Participants will span a wide-range of leadership roles including new, emerging, mid-level and senior executive leaders from across nearly every vertical market. Course participants are interested in strengthening their leadership skills and learning how an innovative culture and leadership style can improve their success – and the success of their teams and organization.
What’s in the Course
This course brings MIT's motto - mens et manus, or mind and hand - to life. It will challenge you to unleash your innovative strengths, and as long as you are prepared to feel uncomfortable at times - and do it anyway - you will emerge a stronger, more innovative leader.
The full experience of this course is not just about working through the videos, exercises and assignments. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate creativity, leadership and personal accountability. Throughout the experience, you will be required to actively collaborate within small teams. Your team members will be relying on your input in order for the teams to succeed. Your leadership and accountability will be key.
Dr. David Niño, Senior Lecturer at MIT, explores questions such as: What is creativity and innovation? Where does it come from? How does it begin? And why does it matter?
- LIVE KICKOFF - Pre-course work and a live webinar
- MODULE 1 - Why leadership matters in the innovation process
- MODULE 2 - My leadership capabilities
- MODULE 3 - Creating and communicating a shared vision
- MODULE 4 - Leading innovative teams: a practicum
About the Instructor
David Niño is a Senior Lecturer in the Bernard M. Gordon-MIT Engineering Leadership Program. He has taught leadership since 1998 at the undergraduate, masters, doctoral and executive/professionals levels. He is currently a founding officer of the Leadership Development Division of the American Society of Engineering Education and consults with professionals and executives in the areas of leadership and team development.